Tuesday, January 14, 2014

6 x 5 minutes

A sort of repeat of the session from last Friday (6 x 5 minuntes off 60 secs). But this time Fintan wanted to run them at a slightly quicker pace - so not at threshold pace, but more at say 10km race pace. His target was 3:15 to 3:18 per km pace so I'd try and hang on as best I could.

A bloody cold day - with threatening rain and a bit of breeze. The usual 10 minute warm-up and straight into it. As per last week Fintan was leading them out and I was trying to keep up. The first couple felt pretty good and the pace was on target, I started to feel a bit more like my usual self and took up the running for most of the 3rd rep. I died a bit on the 4th one for which we had changed direction, so we changed direction again and I was able to lead out most of that rep. The last one was a real toughie as we were running straight into the wind. I lasted just shy of 3 minutes before I started blowing and let Fintan sail past me. Here are the paces for each 5 minutes:

3:17 / 3:14 / 3:13 / 3:18 / 3:15 / 3:23

Another pleasing session and a nice improvement on last week. Running at a deliberately faster pace but feeling generally more comfortable.

All up 15.5kms with warm-down. A note on Fintan - now that he has become a full-time athlete he is absolutely flying. I'd say he is in career best form and is ready to run a string of PB's in 2014. Great to see.

No comments: