Tuesday, March 03, 2009

On Track

I dread these 3km races. Tried not to think about it too much all day. I did my usual lap of Hansen's as a warm-up (6.1km). Then a quick change of shoes into my racing spikes and I was on the start line.

It was a red hot line-up tonight - which was a good thing. There would be a few people to try and hang on to. I settled into a nice early rhythm and sat in behind Josh and Dom. I went through the first km in 3:01 and that felt comfortable. I was considering pushing past these 2 but decided to sit there for another km although I could feel the pace had slipped a little. The second km came and went in 3:08 and I decided to push for home. I eased past and tried to open up a gap. Whilst I dropped Dom, Josh sat in behind me and out-kicked me on the last lap. I finished in 9:11 so very happy with that. A 3:02 last km was a nice way to finish.

Lots of positives to take out of this race. I was 18 seconds quicker than last month and to be honest this race felt a lot easier. Despite having not done much speedwork I ran a quick time purely off my strength training.

For the record I finished 4th overall! Mark ran 8:36 and is in a league of his own. Then Matt and Josh finished just in front of me. A sub 9 is not too far away if I keep improving at this rate.

Finished off the night with another lap of Hansen's as a warm-down. All up 15.2km.

No comments: