Saturday, March 07, 2009

North Head 10km

I had a good feeling about today, the weather was close to perfect and I was tipping a good run.

The race started a little late but we were soon off. The plan was to go out hard and hang on and the first 3km rolled by in 9:54 and I felt in control. But then I started to struggle in the climb after the turn at the stone archway - I found myself hanging on for the next 7km as I continued to slow. I missed the 5km marker but would estimate 17 flat, so I have then run the second half in 17:41 for a total time of 34:41. I was disappointed not to run strong the second half of the race as this is normally where I come into my own. I was overtaken by 2 Striders in the last couple of km and did not have any fight to try and stick with them. Overall I think I made the top 10 so whilst the time was disappointing, the position was good. Perhaps it was a bit humid out there which may have slowed everyone down.

As for the new course.......didn't run well so blame the course! I'm joking, it's still a good quick course but I really felt the long uphills from the turnaround.

All up 15km with warm-up and down. I'll put this down as a mediocre run and move on.

No comments: