Tuesday, March 17, 2009

More Long Reps

Back to Chittaway Point for 10 reps. I spoke with Paul at the start about my continuing niggles and he assured me that this was a good sign that I was training hard enough!

A good crowd again today: Me, Baz, Paul, Mark, Cain, Cale and Jeff. The instructions were to start slow and gradually build up the pace and run the last 3 in 2:50ish. I decided to wear my 2140's to give me extra support so that would make this session a little harder.

The calf was tight but functional. This morning I did not think I would be able to run but it improved as the day progressed. I started with a 4km warm-up and the calf felt okay. The first rep was 3:20 and felt easy and from then on it got quicker and quicker. The 8th one was where I had to drop the hammer and luckily I had Mark to hang on to. This was a 2:49 but took a lot of effort. The next one was a 2:50 and I finished up with a 2:53 (legs had turned to jelly at this point). The full times were:

3:20/3:14/3:14/3:11/3:09/3:03/2:57/2:49/2:50/2:53

I had a discussion with Mark about the exact length of this rep. We both agreed it would be about 920m. So the times are by no means lightning quick but the ground is a little tricky so you have to be careful (tree roots, potholes, etc).

Finished with a 4km warm-down. All up 17km. Pleased to get through this session and the calf seems okay. The knee was good tonight - probably as good as it has been all year. Go figure.

No comments: