Friday, March 27, 2009

Knee Progress

I've had a look few some older posts and my blog reads more like a weather and injury report. If only the focus was more on the running....

I've struggled with niggles all year and whilst I haven't missed any sessions, I can't recall running "pain free" in 2009. It's getting to a point where a lot of the enjoyment from running is fast disappearing. So my focus today was to try and get this bloody knee sorted once and for all...

After reading lots on patella tendinitis on the web, I decided to do a number of things:

Icing - I started this yesterday and the knee feels marginally better this morning. Will continue on with this.

Structure - have this checked by a chiropractor. I had an appointment this morning and my hips were slightly out of whack and I also had the tracking adjusted slightly in my left knee. Noticed no real difference afterwards.

Massage - another appointment this morning. Same old, same old - muscles were too tight. I got them to pay particular attention to my quads, abductors, ITB and hip flexors. The hip flexors were very tight (read massage agony as 2 people were working on my left side). In doing this, an extremely sore spot (agony and then some) was located at the top of my groin/lower abdomen which may have been a trigger point. Again lots of pain to try and get this to let off (still sore 7 hours later as I type this). But straight away I could notice an improvement in the knee. Could we be on to something?

Today was a scheduled rest day anyway. I'll ice again tonight and try a light 30 minute run in the morning. I'm very confident the massage will have made a big difference in only a relatively short period.

I'm starting to think of Sunday's Half and a race plan. Go out hard and hang on is my first thought...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool blog! Is your theme custom made or did you download it from somewhere?
A theme like yours with a few simple tweeks would really make my blog jump out.

Please let me know where you got your theme. Many thanks
Feel free to visit my website - chiropractor queens ny

BeerMatt said...

Anon, thanks for the feedback. My theme is one of the standard ones (picture window). I simply added my own background photo which is easy to do. Matt