Saturday, February 07, 2009

Striders 10km

It was quite hot and humid but the early start helped. Ran a couple of kms warm-up and my top was already soaked. Not good.

I was using my new race orthotics - basically my old pair of orthotics with new lighter covers and shaved down slightly.

The race started and I was ticking along okay; splits were a little slow but I felt strong. Scribblies was a struggle, but I felt good on the flats and the downhill sections and I began working my way through the field. Slowed again (relative to the field) running up to the turnaround, and then proceeded to pick up more runners coming back. I'd estimate I overtook at least 20 people between 2km and the end so that's a good sign. Finished in 35:59 (12th overall) and I think that's a fair time given my current fitness level and the conditions. I'm always a minute slower on this course so the equivalent of 35 minutes on a flatter course.

Splits were 3:34/3:35/3:47/3:31/3:54/3:42/3:33/3:32/3:33/3:18. I was 16:10 from top to bottom so quicker than I'm running during my tempo sessions.

A few kms warm-down so all up 15km.

So I still lack leg speed but that should come. My aim now is to go close to 34 minutes at North Head in 4 weeks time.

No comments: