Friday, May 30, 2014

3 x 1km

Early morning massage to free up the knee. A very painful 45 minutes that I won't get back. But in all fairness the leg felt great after.

A big afternoon session - 3 x 1km off 5 (five!) minutes! Again I couldn't make track so it was to be an all out affair on the treadmill. A did a dynamic warm-up which had me running the last 2kms of my 4km warm-up at well under 3:30/km pace. That's to get the heart rate primed and ready for action.

I set the treadmill to 20.0km/hr on a 2% incline and that's where the fun started. The first one was okay but after just one minute it was very hard going. The heart rate peaked at 156. The second one was very patchy - great one minute, awful the next, and the last minute seemed to last an eternity. Heavy breathing at the end and the legs were like jelly - max heart rate 158. The third one I was close to stopping - too many negative thoughts but somehow kept it going and I think I touched 160 on very drunk legs. So better than last week but still not into my interval zone of 162+. So another fail!

Spoke to the coach and I'm still not strong enough for this session. So I have to increase the length of my threshold runs by another 10 to 15 minutes. Insert lots of swear words!

All up 10.0kms for the day.

Out in the evening for a meal with the wife and kids. Fish and chips and a pint of Guinness. That was easily the best part of the day.

No comments: