Monday, April 21, 2014

Labane 10km

Dry and windy conditions today. We'd have the wind on the back for the first 4km, then it would be a tough run for the remainder of the loop. A warm-up of 2.2kms with a few of the lads, and it was time to line up at the start. There was some decent guys around - and John was targeting sub 34 minutes so I wasn't going to have it all my own way.

The race started and I took the lead. I felt great to start with being pushed along by the wind and by the time I hit the first km marker I had opened up a decent lead. From then on I just ran on feel - trying to lock into the threshold pace that I've been accustomed to lately. I was slowing slightly each km marker, but still felt good - that was until we took a 90 degree left turn at around 4km where the wind and hills started to slow things down.

For the next 4 kms it was tough going. I was running 15 seconds per km slower and feeling a good bit worse for it. Constant ups and downs and very little shelter from the breeze. Luckily there was nobody pressing me but it's one of those situations where you don't want to relax too much and risk getting caught.

At 8km it was the straight run home. I was switching from side-to-side on the road to try and find shelter but that was a waste of effort. A nasty bridge to climb over before the last km where I backed off and cruised into town for the win in a time of 33:49 with all the kids chasing me down the finishing chute. Great stuff.

A warm-down of 4kms with John and Gary who completed the top 3 places.

So another nice hit-out at a well organised event. Well done to everyone who helped put this race on.

Here's a photo of me being chased at the finish (courtesy of Sean at AK):



No comments: