Thursday, August 02, 2012

Steady running

The plan called for 50 to 70 minutes "steady running". I wasn't too sure what steady meant in this context but thought it would be quick but nothing too strenuous. I then headed to the McMillan website as I recall seeing training paces for steady sessions and imagine my surprise when it indicated a pace range of 3:24 to 3:32 per km (based on a sub 71 minute half). Steady my arse.

So I decided I hadn't seen that. I thought I'd run 10km as the meat of the run and whatever the time that resulted then so be it. A warm-up of 2.3km and then I started the session. After about 4kms I decided to have a glance at the Garmin to see how I was tracking and then I realised I'd stopped the watch and had not taken my lap split. Clucking bell. I then started the watch and completed my loop (from previous efforts I know this to be 9.3km). I then added on another 700m to get the 10km up.

I know from the Garmin that the last 6km or so of the 10km effort were run at 3:31/km pace. About 4km of that was into a tough wind and I'd be confident in saying that based on that the first 4km (wind friendly) would have been at 3:30/km pace (if not quicker). So about 35 minutes for 10km (give or take). Pleased with that as it didn't feel like it was taking too much out of me and surprisingly it was just about in the steady training range. How dare I doubt the great man...

I finished up with a 4.2km warm-down to give me 16.5kms for the day.

Three golds today for team GB. The Aussies seem to be having a bit of a Barry. Their Olympics is normally over when the swimming comes to an end...

Garmin for dummies book purchased...

2 comments:

Sean said...

Matt, what does 3:30 pace feel like for you now, is it not steady? Is it a case that you're able to do it taking less steps for the same pace when you're fitter?

BeerMatt said...

Sorry Sean. Just catching up on comments. 3:30/km pace does feel quite comfortable but 3:20/km pace is still tough. I'm hoping it will all click when I taper for the race and the legs are fresh!