Thursday, January 19, 2012

Something and nothing

I made the trip out to Dangan to be greeted by cold, damp and quite breezy conditions on the track. I joined in with the university training group and after 5 laps slow warm-up and a few token strides it was time for some 800's off 90 seconds recovery.

I was consistently running 75 seconds for the first lap but couldn't lift the pace beyond that (no speed). The times aren't great but it's a start:

2:33,2:32,2:33,2:32,2:32,2:32,2:31,2:30

Not easy running by yourself on the track as the main group were doing a different session to me. In some respects I think I was simply going through the motions...

These track sessions make a huge difference to your running - I've been slacking off the last couple of months and I've lost a few seconds each lap as a result. Moral of the story is that you have to hurt yourself in training if you want to run well...

I finished off with a 3.9km warm-down. All up 12.3km for the day.

Judd played brilliantly to beat the Rocket. He's still my tip for the tournament.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi Matt, you are too hard on yourself! What time is the University session and did they mind you landing down (in other words can others occasionally join that group?)

BeerMatt said...

The University have the track booked from 6:30pm for an hour. I got there just before 7pm and spoke to the coach to see if it was okay to use the track and there was no problem what so ever. I'd say you'd be fine if you did the same!