Saturday, January 07, 2012

5km Time Trial

Back to the track for a 5km time trial with a few of the Galway Harriers. My first time on the track since November 22nd and it showed...

A nice easy 6 laps to warm-up. Then a dozen or so of us toed the line in a self-timed 12 and a half laps. Conditions were very good - nice and cool with only a bit of breeze around the final bend. I hit the lead and pushed on and was left thinking my watch had malfunctioned when I went through the first km in 3:14...

From there on it was a real struggle. I was slowing lap on lap and had nothing in the tank. Perhaps the hill session had taken it out of my legs as I was back peddling. Through the seconds km with a 3:17, followed up with a 3:21. It was then a slow death march whilst counting down the last 5 laps.

A penultimate km of 3:21 and I kicked for home blowing out none of the cobwebs with a 3:20 to finish up. Time 16:33 and I honestly thought I'd run close to 16 without going to the well. Oh well, perhaps the kick up the rear that I need. To think I ran 15:14 in my last track 5km. Today I still had a lap to go at that time...

A 3.2km warm-down and all up 10.6km for the day. Track sessions to resume next week me thinks.

No comments: