Saturday, January 28, 2012

Mud Run

A trip to Dangan for some intervals running around the training pitches. Lots of rain around and the paths were very muddy. It was going to be a tough day. I'd decided not to run them eyeballs out as I was feeling knackered, but looking back I couldn't have gone much quicker.

The session was 3 sets of 6 minutes, 3 minutes, 90 seconds (all up 31:30 of fast running). The active jog recovery was 3 minutes, 90 seconds and 45 seconds. The first set was relatively straight forward and the 3 minutes recovery felt way too long. But the session got interesting the start of the second set faced with a 6 minute effort after only 45 seconds recovery. Slipping and sliding around wasn't much fun and I kept telling myself that I was really enjoying myself...still a good group today at the front with various runners taking turns pushing the pace which helped to pass the time.

Felt good on the last 3 minute effort and carried that through to the last 90 seconds. Pace was difficult to gauge but I'd say it was in the 5:20 per mile region. Pretty good going given the slippery terrain. Not a session I would ever do by myself but a good one to add a bit of variety to the training.

All up 12 miles/19.2kms with warm-up and down.

No comments: