Saturday, August 13, 2011

Ted "the Count" Hankey

Later in the evening I made the short trip to Tuam to watch Ted Hankey playing a darts exhibition match. I wasn't sure what to expect but was keen to give it a look (thanks to Colm for the tickets!). Oh yeah, almost forgot, I was down to play him in one leg. Game on.

The turnout was fairly poor - I'd estimate about 70 people watching. I was scheduled to play 8th, and after the 7th game there was a long interval which was more time to sweat. Thankfully a few pints of Guinness had helped to lubricate my elbow and ease the nerves. If I was like this before a race I'd have to give up running....

Anyway, my walk-on music was AC/DC's "Thunderstuck", and soon "the Thunder from Down Under" was in action. It was one game of 801 and after starting well with scores of 85 and 81, I hit the wall. I had another score of 98, but the Count smelt blood and finished me off with a couple of big scores and straight out on the double. I knew I had made a mistake when I forgot my garlic. Hopefully some photographic evidence to follow...

I finished off the night back in the local boozer. More Guinness, darts and pool. I love pubs...home at 3am...

No comments: