Wednesday, August 03, 2011

Still not bad

Okay, the last proper session before the Streets. Arrived at the track late and after sitting in the car for a while to avoid heavy rain, I eventually got going for my warm-up where I bumped into Ian. After about 4.8kms I was ready for the session.

Conditions were pretty poor. Still raining, shirt and shoes already waterlogged, track very slippery, plus about 10 more excuses. I'd spoken with Matt and the instructions were to run 6 x 800 (off 2 minutes). Starting at say 2:20, then a couple of 2:18's, finishing with a pair of 2:14's. I would have been confident of doing that based on recent form but after the first lap of the first 800 those times were out of the window. The session went:

2:25/2:24/2:23/2:23/2:22/2:20

So looking for the positives, overall it was still at below 3 minute per km pace, and I managed to get quicker throughout the session. But it was a real effort which was either due to the conditions, or me being on the shant for the last week. Probably a bit of both.

Not the confidence builder I wanted just before the race but still a decent enough session. I'll take it easy the next couple of days as I'm feeling pretty tired and I'll be avoiding all forms of alcohol until post race. That will be a full 3 evenings...

I finished up with 3.2kms warm-down so all up 12.4km for the day.

No comments: