Monday, July 07, 2014

Experiment

A nice day outside so decided to try a threshold run outdoors to see how the pace compared to my hamster wheel runs. A 2.7km warm-up and then ran the Claregalway 10km course. Started well and within my threshold zone after a few minutes. Then after 3km I faded a little and was running at the bottom of my zone. Pace was slowing and I crawled home the last few kms to give me 34:49 for the 10km.

So about 10 seconds per km slower than the treadmill. Perhaps today wasn't the best day to do this as I'm probably not fully recovered from the race on Saturday. And there is the temptation to back off when running on the road which you can't do on the treadmill unless you slow down the speed. I'd say the real difference would be around 6 to 7 seconds per km slower on the road. Will try this again at a future date to see.

I finished up with a 2.6km warm-down. All up 15.3kms for the day.

Snooker in the evening. Hammered the old man and played okay in patches. Kept missing silly balls though for the big breaks so no 50's today...

No comments: