Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Craughwell 5km

Another warm day - around 18 degrees and a bit muggy. After doing a short couple of kms warm-up I was already sweating up nicely.

The horn sounded and I hit the front. I took the first km out quickly running down through the village into the breeze. I wasn't feeling great and as soon as I hit the first km marker I wanted the race to be over. Ignoring the watch I continued plugging away but I just didn't have any zip in the legs. I had opened up a decent lead but couldn't build on it. I had a decent patch for about 500m after the 3km marker but then struggled home for a time of 15:55 for the win.

I suppose the time wasn't too bad considering but I could certainly feel the race from Saturday in the legs. Then a lap warm-down with Timmie and Johnny. I got the feeling that there was a mixed bag of results out there. Some continue to improve through the series but it seems the heat slowed others. Also I don't know if it was just me but there seems to be a lot of gradual uphill in the last 4kms of this course? You probably wouldn't even notice it if you had a good run...

All up 13.0kms for the day. Here are the splits:

1km 3:01
2km 3:16
3km 3:13
4km 3:11
5km 3:15

Total 15:56

I'll give next week a miss out at Dangan and then come out firing for the last one in the series in Tuam.

No comments: