Friday, September 04, 2009

Welcome Back

It has been a few months so time for an update...

After London, I've kept plodding away. On return to Sydney I ran the May half in 1:18:49 (legs felt good until halfway then I rediscovered the marathon soreness). I then ran the July and August Striders 10km races in 35:00 and 34:51 respectively. Then on the back of that I had a great race in the City to Surf posting a new PB of 48:28. Then I backed up and ran the Hidden Half in Bankstown in 1:17:18 which was a pleasing run given the tough nature of the course.

The big thing is that my left knee finally seems to be getting better. The last few weeks I'm running pain free for the first time all year. It all comes down to stretching. I've been stretching like mad focusing on the calves and that seems to be doing the trick.

Oh yeah, this week's big news is the 10km track race from Tuesday night. I ran 32:35 wiping almost one minute off my old PB. I never though I'd break 33 minutes so I was thrilled with this run. My 5km splits were 16:25 and 16:10 so a very pleasing negative split in there.

To summarise my training the last month, the previous 4 weeks I have run 57.6km, 70.5km, 93.0km and 97.3km. The reason for the build in kms is that I have decided to have another tilt at the marathon! Yep, Melbourne it is in just over 5 weeks time. So the focus will be on getting some long runs in between then and now and trying to remain injury free whilst collecting a few more kms.

The next race is the Striders 10km tomorrow at North Head. My second 10km for the week so it will be interesting to compare how the track 10km translates into road form. I don't think I'll smash it as my legs are still sore as I right this from Tuesday.

No comments: