Saturday, September 05, 2009

North Head

It was a great morning for a run. Ran about 3km as a warm-up then lined up for the start. My best ever start and I quickly settled into the top 10 runners. In my haste to get there on time I had forgotten my watch but decided to run blind; not a bad thing really.

Settled into a nice group of 3 for the first 6km. I was hanging off the back, feeling okay but the legs still felt a little sore. I asked for the split at 5km which was 16:45. That felt about right and by 7km the group had split, one runner out the back, one up front and me in the middle. At 9km I thought I could chase down the runner in front but to no avail. I just didn't have that extra gear today. Having said that, still a very good run finishing in 33:46 and 5th place overall. My best ever Striders finish.

Did a couple of kms warm-down for 15km all up. Irish ran 34:48 running a PB post 2nd baby. Leigh finished in 42:52.

The course is quick but still makes you work. It seems to be either uphill or down with very few flat sections. It's difficult to get into a rhythm, but compared to my last run at North Head just before London, I'm nearly a minute quicker. That must be a good sign.

Longish run tomorrow. I'll see how the legs feel.

No comments: