Saturday, September 26, 2009

Central Coast 5000m 15:57

I left home at just gone 7am for the trip up the freeway. It felt like I was back to work.....

The weather was a big concern. Very windy on the freeway and the air quality was poor due to the second dust storm in a week. Not good.

Arrived at the track and did a couple of kms warm-up including some strides. It was very blustery and the wind was swirling in all directions. Soon the race was underway and we ran a slowish first half lap (estimate 39 secs). Mark went off the front and left a group of 5 of us to chase with me last of this group. I settled in for a couple more laps and we went through 1km in 3:07. At this point I made the decision to work a bit harder so I used the next lap to get to the front. My immediate thought was that this was a big mistake as parts of the back straight and the final bend were very windy and it felt like I wasn't moving. Anyway, I continued to work hard and to my surprise those behind me started to string out a little.

By 3km the time was 9:36 and I though it would be a good effort to get a sub 16 from here on in. I continued to run out by myself focusing on the last 5 laps. With 2 laps to go only Josh was left close behind me and he put in his customary fast finish leaving me in his wake. I really pushed the last lap and crossed the line in 15:57 finishing in 3rd place behind Mark and Josh.

Overall I was very pleased with that given the poor conditions. I felt very strong throughout and I could definitely improve on that time given better weather. Another PB which seems to be a bit of a habit at the moment. I ran 3 kms as a warm-down.

All up 10km for the day.

Tonight we have a baby-sitter and Marion and myself have a night out! Looking forward to that. Not looking forward to the 35km long run in the morning though...

No comments: