Thursday, September 12, 2013

Quicker

Myself and Fintan started out today at the new time of 6:45am. We started off at a bit of a healthier pace and continued that through. After 4km we met up with Gearoid and it felt really easy today. The conditions were nice and mild with no breeze to worry about and soon the run was over. All up 14.8kms in 1:02:33 (4:13's). Then the rain came down...

That's it now until Sunday 1am. I've got 2 full days of no running.

The left knee is so so. It has improved slightly but the pain is very reminiscent of the old patella tendinitis days whereby I spent 18 months on the sidelines. At the moment I would rate the pain as a 3 out of 10 - the problem I made last time is that I let it get to an 8 out of 10 level. Will do nothing stupid and if that means reverting back to some different running shoes then so be it. I'll have a go on the foam roller to let the calves off a bit and hopefully that will help things along. Listen to the old body Matt - and if all else fails go out and get hammered...

3 comments:

Jane Walsh said...

Oh man Matt!! That is a bummer! I hope it subsides and fecks off!! You are a poster boy for fab recovery from a rotten dose before. You might have to do the unthinkable and ease off for a while, 3/10 is not insignificant...

John said...

Matt, I've been having a similar pain in the bottom right of my right knee for most of this year and have been running near PB level but can't quite get to the next level. What exercises would you recommend to get around this?

BeerMatt said...

John, I'm not sure about exercises. I'd certainly get a sports massage to loosen up some of the muscles that could be too tight around the knee (calves, quads, etc). I'd also consider having your gait analysed to make sure you're in the right footwear. Let me know how you get on. Matt