Sunday, September 22, 2013

Indian Summer

A crackerjack day here in Galway. Glorious sunshine as I headed out for my run around 11am. New runners and new socks on and I was out the door. The run itself felt great - the knee was still a little sore but I wasn't getting the same patella pain so I'm 99% sure that it was the other shoes that were causing me the issue. Very relieved with that - I was starting to get more than a little nervous that I was in for another bout of tendinitis. Understandable really when I've spent 18 months on the sidelines with this in the past. And that left me a desperate man - hell I stooped to some new lows - I even took up swimming...

Anyway, I'm hoping I'll be good now. I'll get back into the sessions next week and I plan to run the Grey Lake 10km next Sunday for a blow-out. Looking forward to trying out a new course though I'm told it's a tough-ie.

All up 14.8kms in 1:03:03 (4:16's). A total of 57.1kms for the week.

Other than that I watched the Gaelic football - Dublin V Mayo. But not before a celebratory meal out for my birthday. Yes, 42 today (21 again). A few beers in the evening and all that.

More thoughts on the shoe issue. I suppose after 12 years or so of running in a pronators shoe, to switch to a neutral shoe may have been a step too far. I was thinking during my run that if your foot is used to the support and cushioning in a certain area of the shoe, and that suddenly changes, then a couple of mms difference in positioning during foot strike may be all it needs to impact the tracking of your knee and the resultant patella pain...makes sort of sense to me anyway.

No comments: