Saturday, July 27, 2013

National 10,000m

I woke up with a sore throat and was generally not feeling great. I took an early coach to Dublin - met up with my Dad and we were running a bit short of time so we took a taxi out to the Santry.

After registering, I had time for a warm-up. I bumped into Brian Furey and we ran a few laps around a small warm-up pitch for about 15 mins. The events were running a little late so back out for a bit more of a warm-up with Roger Barrett. A total of 20 mins or so (say 4kms).

Then into the call room, before being called onto the track. Lots of rules, officials, etc, up to this point and the nerves were starting to jangle a little. There were about 25 runners or so and we were split into 2 groups and I was in the group that had to run wide around the first bend to the right of the cones before breaking. The conditions were quite warm, around 20 degrees, and the breeze was coming across the track. Okay I suppose.

The gun sounded and I found myself behind Roger Barrett. I set into my running but felt very flat. Through the first km in 3:07 and I was already struggling. I decided to take one lap at a time but by the time I'd hit 4 laps (5:02) I was ready to stop. Roger had worked away from me leaving myself and a Raheny runner behind me. I was determined to give it my all until at least 5km but each lap was getting tougher and I knew I was slowing. Through 8 laps in about 10:12 so already off my target of 10:08 and that gap was only going to get bigger. As we approached half-way the guy from Raheny went past me leaving me in no mans land. I should add that at this point I had already been lapped by some of the front runners!

Through 5km in 16:12 and I was ready to step off the track. Shortly after Pauric McKinney went past me. I won't bore you with the detail but each lap got slower and by the time I got down to 10 laps remaining I knew I would finish but the time had gone. I was lapped again by the leader as I counted down the last 10. I reached 9km in 29:50 so I knew a sub 33 was looking unlikely as I simply had nothing in the tank. I went on to cross the line in 33:05 for 14th place.

The winner (Mark Kenneally) ran 29:22 and looked to be doing it easy so I can't blame the conditions. A very poor run from me and not too sure what went wrong. A few laps of the pitches as a warm-down/sulk to give me around 16kms for the day. Very disappointing.

Out in the evening for lots of fun. My Dad and I visited 8 or 9 pubs that we can remember around Dublin, mainly in the Temple Bar area. That was great. In bed by 11pm for a slumber...

No comments: