Saturday, July 20, 2013

Joe Root

Out at 9am to try and get cooler conditions. Still well above 20 degrees and after having several beers the previous evening, and not much food, plus a lack of sleep I'd handicapped myself rather nicely for this session.

It was to be 6 x 4 mins off 60 secs, then 5 x 30 seconds (off 60) to finish with. I used my local 9.5km loop and after the first 4 minute effort I was struggling. I managed to pick things up a bit for 2,3,4 and 5 but during the last one I felt like giving up and had become a champion negative thought generator.

A 3 minute break and then the 30 second efforts. These were much easier as you just get going and they are over. I was toast at the end. I was running 5:15/km pace for the warm-down and that was hard work. So I ended up walking home. Which was nice. All up 16.5kms.

Here are the paces:

3:21/3:15/3:15/3:14/3:14/3:17 (per 4 minutes)

2:53/3:02/2:53/2:48/2:49 (per 30 seconds)

Basically not my greatest work. If it's a hot day in Dublin next Saturday for the 10,000m then I may as well forget the race and head straight to the Temple Bar.

Another day for England in the cricket. They batted all day long only losing a couple of wickets (one of which was Bresnan the night-watchman). Root batted beautifully and was 178 not out at the close. England with a 500 plus lead and I'm sure they'll give Root a quick dart at his double ton in the morning before putting the Aussies in to see how long they can last.

A poor decision by the third umpire not to give Bell out to a low catch taken by Smith. This series keeps throwing up these controversial decisions and England have certainly been very fortunate this far.

Watched a bit of the darts in the evening - the World Matchplay from Blackpool. Dad is back in town next week so I dare say I'll be back at the oche soon.

No comments: