Tuesday, July 02, 2013

4 x 400, 3 x 1600, 4 x 400

Track session - a 5.0km warm-up and a few strides and we were faced with a tough old session. Conditions were damp as it had been raining on and off for most of the day, but the wind had dropped so it was a lot better than I had feared.

Numbers were a bit thin in the top group with only myself, Paddy and Conor for company. I set myself a target of 69 seconds for the 400's and 5:04's for the 4 lappers which was dream target 10km pace (31:40).

The session was a real struggle. I had the other lads helping out with my pacing - but I felt very heavy legged and couldn't wait to get it over with. Here are the times:

70/70/69/70
5:00/5:01/5:01
70/68/70/69

The 400's weren't great but at least I managed to crank out some decent 4 lappers. I forgot to mention the recoveries - 1 minute between all the efforts and 2 minutes between sets. It's bloody tough running those 4 lappers off only a minute...and to think I want to try and run at that pace for over 6 times the distance...

A short warm-down of 2.5kms to give me 15.5kms for the day. Easy running and rest now before Saturday.

Watched a bit of the England cricket warm-up game - a 4 day game against Essex. A bit of a joke as it started off as a first class game, then due to a couple of injuries to the Essex bowlers they drafted in some new players resulting in the loss of the first class status. I'd say Bresnan was a bit peeved as he hit a ton which will not now be part of his stats...

Australia going well in their 4 day game.

A great run by Cameron Page to run his first sub 4 minute mile in winning the mile race at Cork this evening (time 3:54.77). I think that puts him either 9th or 10th on the Australian all time list. I think Cam next races in Belgium on Saturday July 13th (KBC Nacht) where he will be chasing a world championship qualifier. If recent form is anything to go by he has a red hot chance.

No comments: