Sunday, January 18, 2015

Tuam 8km

A good crowd for this and pretty good conditions. After a 3.1km warm-up it was time to line up for the start. The horn sounded and Gary Thornton took the lead, with another guy in quick pursuit leaving me back in third.

That soon changed and midway through the first km I had moved up into second with Gary disappearing up the road. That's pretty much how it remained. I felt great for the first 4 kms and I was running sub 3:10 pace feeling like I could hold that for the full 8km. Then we took a few left hand turns and started running into quite a stiff breeze and I decided to slip into a pair of lead boots.

A very tough run home. Especially the long section on the main road. I finished in 25:53 after being 12:30 at 4km so a big positive split. The effort level was consistent but the breeze had me beat today. Still a good result finishing second to Gary who ran 24:34.

A 3.2km warm-down to give me 14.3kms for the day. That time is probably a fair reflection of where I'm at right now. More time needed in that threshold zone to get the strength and speed back up to where it was.

That's 75.3kms for the week. I love racing and really enjoyed that today. I think I need to race a bit more this year.

Well done to Shaun Murphy for winning the Masters. I didn't give him a hope against Robertson in the final and he won easily defeating the Aussie 10-2.

No comments: