Saturday, March 01, 2014

Kinvara 10km

A lovely cool day and very little breeze so as good a conditions as you could hope for. Very busy around Kinvara with the hustle and bustle of 1,500 runners competing in the 10km and half marathon and after finding a parking spot, it was a stress free pick-up of the race number, then a few kms warm-up before lining up for the start.

The course was a quick first 5km, and then a few hills in the back half - a big climb around 7km and then some further ups and downs to keep you honest. The gun sounded and myself and Andrew Annett took up the running, with the massive field giving chase. The start is actually uphill, but you don't notice it with the adrenaline pumping, and after a quick right turn onto the main street, we settled in behind the lead vehicle.

A short distance up the road and the lead car came to a standstill in a traffic bottleneck. I went one way, Andrew the other, and we overtook the car continuing on up the hill. Through the first km and the road flattened out, and we ran stride for stride whilst the pace was hotting up. The car went past us again and after hitting 2km we took a left turn onto a smaller road, and for the next 3km there was nothing in it. I was sitting behind Andrew for the most part, and I knew from glancing at the watch at each km marker that the pace was fast, and surprisingly it felt comfortable enough.

Between 5km and 7km the worm had turned. One moment I was feeling good, the next I was ready to step off the course. I tried taking up the running a few times, and even threw in some surges, but Andrew had me easily covered and with each effort came a longer period of recovery. Then we hit the climb up to the 7km marker. I went to the lead and to my surprise I started to open up a gap. Andrew shouted "go on Matt" and with that I pushed on as best I could. More recovery at the top of the hill before tackling the last 3km.

The race was now there for the taking so it was all about keeping it going. I was feeling awful but the legs were still moving well and I went through 8km inside 26 minutes. Wow, a good finish here and I'll be well under 33 minutes. But despite feeling that I was running strongly, the run home was a little disappointing. Another climb up past 9km, and then a very long last km (I think I noted the same last year). I've no doubt the course is accurate but the 9km marker must have been early as the split for the last km doesn't do the effort involved justice.

I crossed the line in 32:50 for the win, beating my old course record by a massive 7 seconds! Absolutely done in and over to the nearest park bench for a lay down. Andrew finished second 21 seconds back, with Paddy from Ennis third in 34 flat.

Very happy with that given the last 7 days. I felt very comfortable for the first half of the race which shows I have plenty of speed, I just need to work on the endurance to keep it going for the full 10km (especially the last 3km if the splits below are to be believed!). Hopefully these new threshold sessions will deliver on that front. Nice to have a good race as well with Andrew - it certainly dragged us both on and you need that to run a good time.

A slow warm-down with Andrew of 5km to give me 17.5kms for the day. Here are the race splits:

3:14 / 3:07 / 3:12 / 3:13 / 3:15 (16:01) / 3:20 / 3:17 / 3:21 / 3:23 / 3:28 (16:49)

Total 32:50

Well done to everyone who took part and I'm sure there were plenty of PB's to report. There is something special about this race - Kinvara being a beautiful location, the vibe and support around the village, the sell-out crowd, I can't quite put my finger on it - but it definitely works. The race organisation was also very good after ironing out a few problems from last year. That's to be commended so credit where it is due.

Back to the snooker - Ding and Ronnie play in the final tomorrow and that should be a cracker.

Beer and curry in the evening with the better half to celebrate 7 years married. Lucky 7!

1 comment:

Paulmaccasyd said...

Great work Mat. Long time no hear.
Going to be in Dublin April 6th and will do the Spar 10k.
Would be good to catch up and have a few after.
I have setup a temp email. Paulmaccasyd@gmail.com
Send me an email and let's get in touch.
Macca