Sunday, March 16, 2014

Abbey 10km (threshold #4)

I hadn't planned to run but with the Dad here I decided we needed a day trip and the Abbey 10km popped up so that was that. Quite a drive to Abbey which I thought was just outside Loughrea but I should have done a bit more research as it was a good 20 minutes further. Upon arrival it was a quick registration and then a mile warm-up before lining up for the start.

The course was going to be a tough one. That was apparent from the drive in where we basically covered the last 5kms. Hilly plus the wind was also blowing so quick times were going to be difficult - but that didn't bother me as a) I was a little hungover and b) I was looking to use the race as another threshold session.

The race started and myself and Steve McKeigue hit the lead. Steve is a 33 minute 10km runner so I knew I had a race on my hands. We ran out of town into the wind and I took up the running at the prerequisite comfortably hard pace. By 1km I was starting to gap Steve which was a little unexpected. That said, the course was definitely as expected - a big loop full of hills and drags - a good test. And it seemed like that after every turn it was still into the wind - one of those days!

By 5km I had opened up a decent lead. The legs were feeling a bit heavy which was expected really after this week's training. A very nasty climb shortly after 5km, and then some more ups and downs before another left turn just before 7km. Then I felt great - a flattish section with the wind behind and the pace lifted. I perhaps wound up the pace a bit too much, but I was enjoying the run home and soon I was back in town before one final loop to cross the finish line in 34:10 for the win (with Dad and son watching on). Afterwards it was a slow mile warm-down to give me 13.2kms for the day.

What's not to like about that? A great spread afterwards and some more crystal for the collection! Another very well organised event and good to see these local races really well supported. Thanks to all the organisers and volunteers for a great event.

That's 106.6kms for the week. I've averaged 97.6kms the last 10 weeks so that's good going for me. Plus this new training regime has definitely improved my average weekly pace. Take this week for example - 106.6kms at an average pace of 3:51/km. No wonder the left knee is giving me a few twangs...

Here are the splits from the race (clearly the km markers were a little out):

3:05 / 3:33 / 3:30 / 3:37 / 3:49 (17:34) / 3:12 / 3:26 / 3:10 / 3:18 / 3:30 (16:36)

Total 34:10

And here's a photo courtesy of 77edenhill. I think this was approaching the finish:


No comments: