Monday, August 19, 2013

VO2 Max / Lactate threshold

I was at the sports science lab today for 2 tests which were both conducted on the treadmill. After a 15 minute warm-up, I was then tested firstly to determine my lactate threshold.

The format of this test was 3 minute runs, with one minute recovery during which your blood lactate level was measured. Starting at 12km/hour, the pace was increased by 1km/hour for each 3 minute rep. I ended up running 8 x 3 minutes finishing at 19/km hour. During the last effort my heart rate had reached 159.

Then a short break and it was time for the VO2 test. This was a continuous test starting at 15km/hour and then the pace was increased by 0.5km/hour every 30 seconds. After 4 minutes the treadmill was elevated at 1 degree along with the continuing increase in speed every 30 seconds. I'm not sure how long I lasted but having pulled the pin I immediately regretted it thinking I could have lasted one more 30 second blast. That said, by the end of this session I was fairly toasted.

I did manage to get the heart rate up to 171 which is my maximum. My VO2 was also reached and was recorded at 62.6. Nothing too spectacular but the results of both tests combined showed that I was a very efficient runner and would certainly be suited to the longer distance.

I await the detailed results which should benefit my training (training zones and the like). A great experience though I did struggle a little with the mask that you have to wear - especially during the VO2 test. I had a good chat with the guy running the test after and he had a very interesting viewpoint on speed sessions and how that many distance runners tend to run their speed sessions at a pace that is too quick to benefit there training (a view also shared by one of the top running coaches in Ireland). For example, I have been guilty in the past of running my 400's well under 70 seconds. If you continue to do these sessions you will certainly improve your speed at running 400's and whilst you may be able to run 65-66 seconds per lap for short bursts where you turn anaerobic, the benefits of this type of session don't necassarily transfer to 5km and 10km racing where you're running in a different state. I know I haven't explained that well and I'll try and follow-up with some articles on this in future posts.

All up around 15kms with warm-down. I'm back again next week for 2 more tests which I'm already looking forward to,

1 comment:

Jane said...

That's cool Matt, is that research being done in the Uni? and by whom? Great to get some biofeedback that will help you in training.