Wednesday, December 12, 2012

5km Progression

No running today - planned rest day.

I was asked about my 5km progression recently. So here goes:



Not really a distance I raced much until moving to Ireland in 2010. Note these are all road race performances and do not include track races,

My first 5km was a very tough hilly course in Lindfield. I think I finished top 5 but this race was very much an undercard for the main 10km held on the same day. I started quick and died in the arse and it was a real struggle home.

The next couple of races in Forster, NSW, were 5km races that were held on the weekend of the Ironman (which I used to go up and watch). I don't recall much about the first race in 2004, but the race in 2005 was a real breakthrough run. It was a 2 lap course and I ran much quicker (30 seconds plus) than expected beating the sponsored Asics female athlete home (whose name escapes me). I was convinced the course was short and remember driving it afterwards in the car. It seemed okay. Punching well above my weight in that race which goes to show it can happen if everything clicks on the day.

The rest of the races are documented on the blog. The races in Tuam and Craughwell were on consecutive weeks as part of the Galway 5km series that year. The second one wasn't really a PB as I only equalled the time from the previous week.

The last race in Maree was a cracker. I ran down Michael Shannon in the last couple of kms and I finished less than 20 seconds behind the legend that is Gerry Ryan. To this day that's as close as I've ever got to him in a race (and I can't see it getting any better going forwards!).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cheers Matt, canæt believe you were running 4 years before your first 5k!