Monday, December 31, 2012

2012 Yearly Review

No running today - rest day.

I threw a few darts and managed to chalk up my 180th 180 of the year. MVG probably hits that many in one practice session:



The 2012 year in review is to follow. Here is a quick summary of my races:



In summary I'd have to say 2012 has been a bit of a disappointing year. Despite putting in my biggest annual training volume (4,649kms), I didn't nail the big 2 races of the year - the London Marathon back in April and the National Half Marathon in August. The longer stuff certainly took it out of me and my speed has suffered in the shorter races as a result. That said I did run my 2 quickest ever 10km races this year - a new 10km PB out at Colemanstown running solo where I clocked 32:22. Then a 32:38 in Annaghdown in June on the longest day of the year.

So 28 road races for the year. I chalked up 13 wins, 5 seconds and a couple of thirds. I certainly cut back on racing this year compared to 2011 and I hope to buck that trend next year by getting out there a bit more.

If I had to pick my top 5 performances of the year I'd have to go with:

1) London Marathon - despite not breaking my goal of sub 2:30, I still had a solid race but faded in the last few miles. Still a great experiecne and you just cannot beat this race for atmosphere.

2) Round Norfolk Relay - my first experience of this race. Running a 20 miler at 2am in the morning was certainly unique. Conditions were perfect and I surprised myself by running at 2:28 marathon pace. A great day made all the more special by our team winning the event outright.

3) Colemanstown 10km - I was certainly in good shape leading up to London. Two weeks before I ran a solid PB of 32:22 solo running the whole way. A great flat course and one of those races where it just felt oh so easy.

4) Claregalway 5km - a couple of weeks after London I ran my local 5km on a very hilly course. I was pushed all the way by Peter O'Sullivan and I ran a very quick last 500m to take out the race. The marathon certainly gives you plenty of strength (as does the Guinness).

5) Annaghdown 10km - I had a number of good races with John Byrne this year. On this occasion I came out on top after 6kms of constant surges and lead changes. I'd have to say I'd easily swap this performance for the National Half where John had a super run of 1:11 easily beating me in the process.

Happy New Year to one and all. May you all realise your goals in 2013, be it running or otherwise. I'm going to focus on the shorter stuff in 2013 so back to the 5kms and 10kms. Plenty of track sessions in the new year to get the speed back and then see what happens...

2 comments:

David said...

Congrats Matt, I thought you had an excellent year.
Cheers

Keith S said...

I can only agree ,a good year in my opinion and best of luck for 2013 Matt, run well and don't forget to come to Cork ths year for the half marathon (win) .

Best wishes Keith.