Thursday, June 09, 2011

Thursday is for track

Arrived just as it started hammering down. Waited in the car for 20 minutes and it was getting quite late by this stage so had thoughts of going home. But luckily (unluckily?) the skies cleared and at least allowed me to get outside.

The usual 3.2km warm-up. Then to the track for some strides before getting into the 400's. I was doing the session in my racing flats (Asics DS racers) and my socks were soaked by the time I started. Not pleasant. That aside, the conditions for running were just about perfect - very little breeze and nice and cool.

The times were as follows:

71/70/69/69/69/68/68/68/68/68/69/68/68/68/65

That's 13 seconds slower than last week (ave 68.4). But I wasn't pushing them as hard as last week (I could still stand up at the end of the session), plus the wet track would make the times a little slower (maybe a second a lap?). So all in all a good session.

Another gauge that I hadn't given them my all tonight was that my warm-down 3.2km run was 25 seconds quicker than my warm-up. If I was totally GAWNE I'd be a lot slower. A total of 12.4km for the day.

I'll give the 400's a rest now and try and introduce a bit more variety into my weekly track sessions. You'll notice I've updated my race schedule for the next few weeks and there is a 5,000m on the track in one weeks time which promises to be a great race with (hopefully) a high quality field. So this will be my opportunity to run the sub 15:30 that I wanted before June is out.

Jumped back into the car and on the drive home it started raining again. Got to love that...

2 comments:

TokyoRacer said...

How much interval between the 400s?

BeerMatt said...

60 seconds