Thursday, August 19, 2010

Half marathon pace

Today's session was to run a few efforts at half marathon pace to get used to it. Should feel nice and easy, etc, etc.

After a 4.6km warm-up, I had a section of road marked out that I thought was about 3.2km. So I was aiming to run this in about 11 minutes. Wrong, I ran hard and stopped after 12 minutes. A little dumbstruck as it felt like I was running really hard. I then ran 1.6km easy, doubling back halfway to run the same effort as before in the opposite direction. Again I ran hard, returning to the start point in the same 12 minutes. After a 4.6km warm-down, I was back home and checking what I had actually run on MapMyRun...

It turns out it was 3.4kms for each effort, which is 3:32/km pace. A little worrying as I was running hard, not even at target half marathon pace, and certainly not at a pace I could maintain. I'll put it down as a bad day and move on. Must be tired.

So all up 17.5km for the day.

No comments: