Thursday, April 15, 2010

Longer reps

In the build up to the half it's probably a good idea to do some longer reps. I'm making it up as I go along but it makes sense to me.

I drove to the grass track on Mowbray Road. I was planning on running 4 lappers with 400m slow jog recovery.

After a 20 minute warm-up on the surrounding roads, I hit the track and marked out my 1600m run in lane 3 (4 times the normal 400m stagger).

The pace I wanted to run was 10km pace. I thought that 5:20 per effort was a good enough target (being 3:20/km pace).

The first one felt really easy and I was a little surprised by the time of 5:13.

The second felt a lot harder and I'd slowed to 5:20.

The third was a slight improvement of 5:18.

And a 5:16 to finish. Would have been nice to be a bit more consistent.

In between I was walking 100m, then doing a slow 300m+ jog before the next effort.

I did an 8 lap warm-down. Total running of 14.5km.

No comments: