Saturday, April 10, 2010

Homebush again

No traffic today, though parking was fun as the Easter Show is still on, plus the Bulldogs were playing at ANZ stadium.

After checking in, it was announced that due to low numbers, all the 3,000m races were to be run as one (U18 men and women, open men and women). The race was brought forward 15 minutes to 7:20 with 10 runners...

So a quick 4km warm-up and change, a few strides and it was showtime. I tried hanging on the back of the lead 3 runners for a few laps but they were too quick. So a gap started to emerge and I just tried to keep the legs turning over as quick as possible. The first km was probably 3 exactly, then the slow down started. It was really hard running by myself, not a race, more like a time trial. At 2km I was 6:06 so the sub 9 had gone. I concentrated on lifting the pace for the last 2 laps but it was more a case of not slowing down further. The finish line couldn't arrive soon enough and the time I was greeted with was 9:11. Not too bad, but it didn't really happen for me tonight. Perhaps it was not a good idea to run km reps only 2 days prior! Oh well, a decent enough session in the bank.

I ran 3km as a warm-down so 10km for this evening. This could be my last track race for a while, and probably my last track race in the southern hemisphere!

No comments: