Saturday, April 18, 2009

Canberra 10km

I drove down to Canberra at arrived at about 2pm. The knee was still not great, especially sore at the back of the knee where I had the massage the day before.

I started warming up at 3:30pm (30 minutes before the race) and was having second thoughts about racing. The knee was smarting every foot strike. I decided I needed to toughen up and so I lined up at the start....

The race itself was a real struggle. I was 10:10 at 3km but from then on I was hanging on. I was 17:17 at 5km and just managed to get in under 35 with a time of 34:53 finishing 9th overall (and being out-sprinted by a 16 year old at the finish).

So the knee was obviously a factor. Plus the legs didn't feel great. I think there was still some of Tuesday's 5km in them. I'll put this down as a bad run and move on. So no sub 34 to get the confidence up. A great run Tuesday and now a disappointing last hit-out.

All up about 14km with warm-up/down. My main priority now is to rest as much as possible and try to get the knee back in reasonable shape for London. More massage required...

No comments: