Saturday, July 02, 2011

Sloppy Seconds

Time trial day. I used to run these regularly in Sydney on the first Tuesday of each month. In fact, I've just had a look at my record and I've ran 24 3,000 time trials at Mingara between August 2007 and December 2009. I also raced the distance 3 times during that time at Homebush. My first ever 3,000m I ran 10:22 on 07/08/07. My current PB was ran during a time trial the week leading up to the Melbourne Marathon where I ran 8:58 on 06/10/09. I find these good sessions as they don't take too much out of you and they are a good indication of where you are at.

After my normal 3.2km warm-up, I made my way over to the track for a few strides. The weather was glorious - quite sunny and a bit of breeze to deal with coming down the finishing straight. There was 10 or so of us running. A good standard so it would be clean track with no lapping other runners to worry about.

We quickly got going and I hit the front. I took my splits each km but didn't look at the watch. As is normal, I ran a good first and last km, but the second one was a little sloppy. I finished in 9:05 and the splits were 3:00, 3:05, 3:00. So not the sub 9 I was after but not to worry. I'm sure in a proper race I could find a few seconds to get me well under 9.

I finished up with a 6.7km warm-down. All up 12.9km for the day.

No comments: