Saturday, July 23, 2011

Balla 10km

Conditions were not to my liking. A hilly course and very humid but I'd been running well so was hoping for a decent outing. After a 3km warm-up around the start of the course, I was already sweating up, and after changing into my racing flats it was time to line up at the start.

There was a good buzz around town and this was made all the better by a marching band playing at the start as they welcomed Enda Kenny to officially get the race underway. No security that I could see and I was literally standing next to him at the start line. After a 3-2-1 we were off and racing.

I quickly hit the front as we took a sharp left turn and then the first long climb of about 500m which took us up and around the school. After that there were some twists and turns, a section along some loose gravel and rocks, a cattle grid, then back onto the roads. I wasn't looking at splits and was just running on feel. After the first km, the course remained on the road as we headed out of town. More gradual climbs in the second km where I was joined by another runner (Martin Conroy) and we raced stride for stride. The start of the 3rd km was some welcome downhill but this was quickly followed by more up and this was pretty much the pattern of the course from here on in. Constant ups and downs, not steep hills but difficult to get into any sort of rhythm.

We continued running together for the next few kms but as we passed 5km (16:07!) I knew I wasn't going to be able to maintain the pace. We were still together through 6km but it was around this point that I was gapped and it was time to hang on in there. The hills were still coming and after every turn you were looking up the road to see where the next hill was. The gap was about 7-8 seconds and wasn't growing as I went through kms 7, 8 and 9 and I was still of the belief that I could get close with a quick last km. But that wasn't to be and after kicking down the last 200m I crossed the finish line in 32:43 for second place (the winner ran 32:30).

Very happy with the time. Two seconds slower than my PB on a tough course and some good racing. I think the heat effected me more than the hills and I know the sub 32:30 is there on a better day. Overall a great evening with tea and sandwiches after the race and a few Euros prize money thrown in. One of the most memorable races of the year so far.

I forgot to mention I did the same 3kms warm-down. That's 16kms for the day. Hopefully some photos to follow...

Splits:

1km 3:09
2km 3:19
3km 3:16
4km 3:14
5km 3:08
6km 3:17
7km 3:29 (where I was gapped)
8km 3:22
9km 3:15
10km 3:14

Total 32:43

No comments: