Saturday, May 14, 2011

Hills are my friend

I decided to do the group session at Dangan this morning. Once again the middle and long distance guys trained together (no women!), and much to my horror we were to do hills...in the rain...

The session didn't sound too bad though. It was 8 x 30 secs uphill with one minute jog back down. Then 3 minutes rest. Then a second set of 8 x 30 secs. So a total of 8 minutes of hard uphill running.

After a 5.1km warm-up, we were ready to go (using Chestnut Lane). I deliberately sat back for the first couple of uphills and I was way behind the front. Then I slowly started to pick it up the pace and after the first set of 8 I was there or thereabouts.

The 3 minutes recovery was over in a flash and I tried to make a better fist of the next 8. I probably improved a little but was only running for 28-29 seconds (yes I am soft) before pulling the pin. A tough old session.

Then a 4.2km warm-down. Something different and good to train with the group today. The hills seem to be a great leveller (?) with everyone taking turns at the front. Great to see. Legs in bits (again).

13.3km for the day.

No comments: