Monday, March 07, 2011

Tuning up

Tonight was some running at target half marathon pace - 2 x 2.4km broken up with 1.6km of steady running. Again I was running in the dark so was forced to use the footpath along the main road - far from ideal. My course was a 1.4km out/1km back section of road which was fairly flat and obviously had a sharp switch of direction at the turnaround point.

Following a 2.6km warm-up, I went straight into the session. The first interval passed without incident in 7:51 (3:16/km pace). After the next 1.6km of steady running, I knocked out the second one in 7:54 (3:18/km pace). Both felt pretty comfortable. Finished off with a 2.7km warm-down.

Thinking about it, I ran these a little too quick. That pace is more like my current 10km pace. Whoops. So what is my half marathon target pace? I think 3:22/km would be sensible. That would have me going through 10km in 33:40 and if I could maintain that pace it would equate to 1:11:02 at the finish line. This plan is liable to change over the next few days....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Matt, have you had a chance to try the race track in Ballybrit yet? 1.45 miles circiut on grass or tramac and a much better surface than the footpaths along the N17

BeerMatt said...

No have not tried that. Will look into it - sounds good and thanks for letting me know. Is it well lit at night or only suitable for daytime?

Anonymous said...

Daylight hours only