Tuesday, January 22, 2013

6 x 800 off 90 secs

In the middle of a cold snap here in Galway - a very cool 2 degrees at track tonight and despite some fears that the surface may be icy, the session went ahead as planned. It wasn't too bad once you got warmed up and with very little wind I didn't have many excuses at hand...

A massive group again - probably 50+ runners split into groups. The session was 800s off 90 seconds (we had to jog 200m in the recovery). As always with generous recovery we were expected to run the 800s at the same pace as the 400s from the previous week (which were off 30 secs). So I was looking at around 2:26 as a target.

The first one was pretty poor (as is the norm). I need to get out of the habit as using the first one as a warm-up. The rest were okay, a little up and down, and I have to say I was really feeling it today in the last few reps. Perhaps explainable only 2 days after Chu-am. Here are the times:

2:31/2:28/2:29/2:25/2:27/2:23

Happy enough - wet track cost us a bit of time so I think I'm near 3 minute/km pace which is always encouraging. A few more short-sharp session required before the indoor 3,000m. Talking of which here is a photo of the new track (thanks to Amphibian King):

























I can tell you the nerves will be jangling stepping out on that.....looks class!

All up 15.0kms with the up and down.

No comments: