Friday, April 15, 2011

Time precious

I had a spare hour and I wanted to squeeze in a session so I decided to run a slightly longer version of my normal 9.5km loop to allow for a 3km warm-up.

I was undecided what to do as I jogged to the start. Initially I was thinking 1 x 12 minute tempo, then I upped that to 1 x 15 minute tempo, but then decided that was going to be too much like hard work so settled for 3 x 5 minute efforts with 60 seconds jog recovery.

The first couple of efforts were uneventful. I was running well with the benefit of the wind and would be running around 3:10/km pace. Coincidentally, at the start of my 3rd 5 minute effort I was exactly 3.6km into the session (12 minutes divided by 3.6 = average pace of 3:20/km including the 2 x 1 minute jogs). Pretty good going.

The 3rd effort was a lot tougher. Running into the wind and I'd say the pace had dropped to around 3:25/km. Then as easy jog home for the remainder of the loop.

All up 10.6km in 41:36 so an average pace of 3:55/km.

Heading out tonight in town to watch Paddy Casey. A few beers and live music and I'm as happy as a cod in a sea of batter. Easy run tomorrow then race on Sunday.

3 comments:

Ronoc said...

Matt, where are you running this Sunday? Are you doing the 5k in Salthill on Tuesday evening 7.30pm, it supposed to be chip timed and a flat course

BeerMatt said...

On Sunday it's the Coole Park 10km which is near Gort.

Not racing on Tuesday. I'll run a track session on Wednesday instead.

Anonymous said...

i thinks you could do the race on tuesday as a jog and you still would win, and then hit it hard down the tarck on wednesday