Sunday, April 10, 2011

Great Ireland Run

Arrived in Dublin and was greeted with very warm conditions of over 20 degrees. After picking up my race number, then getting rid of bags, I did a bit of a warm-up and a few strides before watching the start of the women's race (I didn't realise it was a separate race for the elite/club women).

The men had to wait a further 20 minutes and despite being told to take on plenty of water, there was none freely available at the start. I did finally find some water at one of the charity stalls - much needed by this stage as I was dehydrating fast. I decided against any further warm-up and was soon lining up at the start.

The club runners were at the front of the race next to the elites so we were guaranteed a good start. To my surprise I found myself next to a celebrity runner (Craig Gazey) and we had a bit of a chat about running before the horn sounded. I was quickly into my running and the first section was very flat and fast. I had missed the first km marker and after navigating a roundabout, the course remained fast and I was soon running through 2km in 6:18. There was a nice group of half a dozen runners or so which I was part of. So far so good.

The third km was a slower 3:19 and it didn't feel like I had slowed so I was guessing that the km markers were a bit dodgy. Pressing on the 4th km was a nice quick section and with a km split of 3:04 I was back on track. The next km was a big downhill and at the bottom of the hill we rounded a corner only to be greeted by the first big climb. The 5th km marker passed shortly after and my split of 3:08 meant I was 15:50 at halfway and bang on target pace. That's a 5km road PB as well - but not claimable as it was very much flat/downhill. Moving on.

As I got into this first climb I knew I was in trouble. The group were working away from me and I had nothing. I kept grinding away and after what seemed like 500m, I had finally reached the summit. On the subsequent flats I felt okay, and to my surprise I managed to work my way back to the group which was starting to spread out. The 6th km was a 3:22 so I had slowed but I knew there were more hills to come which were going to hurt. Halfway through the next km we were climbing again up a very long drag that seemed to go on forever. At about the halfway point of the climb I had arrived at km 7 in 3:27. All I wanted now was for this to be over.

I can't recall too much at this point, the group had spread out and it felt like I was running in slow motion. The heat and hills had really knocked me. The 8th and 9th kms passed with splits of 3:23 and 3:37 (insert swear word) and I somehow managed to put in a strong last km along the longest flattest finishing straight I can ever recall. I crossed the line in 32:54 and was absolutely spent. Nothing left in the tank. I was 26th overall and 4th in the 35-39 age category. Not sure of my placing yet in the Irish Champs.

I was initially disappointed with the run but on reflection I was only 10 seconds slower than my road PB on a challenging course in warm conditions. Everyone I knew ran much slower than they were expecting in the region of 40 seconds to one minute. It's obvious that I still can't run well on hills but my lack of training on hills would explain that. I didn't think the heat would be a factor as I was used to it in Oz, but sadly that wasn't the case today.

I was trying to think of a course to compare this to. The only thing I could come up with would be like running the Lane Cove 10km course in reverse. Maybe. Perhaps Lane Cove would be slightly more challenging.

No warm-down. Too spent. A few beers in the evening and I was already planning my next 10km race which will happen in the next week or so. Sub 32:30 is there, I just need to be patient. I remain upbeat.

Great performances from the 2 British girls to go 1-2 in the women's race. Charlotte Purdue won in 32:42 and left some very experienced runners in her wake. She is only 19 and is already being described as the next Radcliffe. Great to see. Gemma Steele in second place only a few seconds behind.

4 comments:

Robert James Reese said...

That's a hell of a time, especially considering that you'd just traveled so far and the warm conditions. On a more ideal day, you'll get the 32:30 no problem.

Anonymous said...

10k next Sunday in Gort, sub 32:30 all over it :)

ronoc said...

well done Matt, the last km showed guts. The hills ah the hills!!! Will you consider incorporating some hill specific work into you training?

BeerMatt said...

Anon, yes, maybe the 10km on Sunday. Is it a quick course?

Ronoc - I may do a session or 2 on the hills but nothing serious. I think I've come to accept over the years that I race best on the flatter courses. I know hills make you stronger and all that. Maybe more of a focus in my next lifetime.