Thursday, March 18, 2010

5km is this years black

Arrived at SOPAC at about 8pm. The race was scheduled for 8:50pm so plenty of time for pre-race rituals. Did a 4km warm-up and felt okay. Weather was quite warm (approx 24 degrees), and no breeze.

Changed into the spikes (need a new pair), and did some run throughs. Then found out that the 5km was to be split into 2 races so the men's A/B grade was put back 20 minutes or so...

Therefore, more time to walk/run/gather thoughts. Said hello to a few regulars. The King watching. Plus Cale who had just run the 1500m.

Soon lined up for the start. Gun went off and we were racing. Settled in behind Chris T and Rob W. The pace felt a little slow and I clipped heels a few times in my eagerness to push on. The first km came and went in 3:00 and that felt comfortable (Adrenalin). Then I kept hanging on the back and soon the 2km came in 6:00. I still felt okay and my immediate thought was that I could run 3:15's here on in and still run a solid PB. We kept ticking along and although I didn't feel like the pace had slowed, the 3km was passed in 9:07. Don't let them get away, just push on for 1 more lap was my mantra. Then the pace seemed to slow so feeling okay I decided to make a move and went past Chris and Rob (I must add that there was a considerable gap between us and the next group). Running at the front is a different ball game. I was running strong but it didn't feel as comfortable/quick. Not sure of the 4km split but around then Chris went past me again (I must have slowed) but I quickly chased him down to get back in front (I prefer being the chaser). With 2 laps to go it was a case of running strong to the finish. I was still leading our mini-group but at the bell Rob kicked past me and I focused on my own race to finish as strong as possible. I crossed the line in 15:25 and couldn't believe the time. Total shock and exhaustion.

The official time was 15:25:68. So call it 15:26 and a 28 second PB. Lessons learnt:

1. Don't be scared. I'm sure if you want to run 15:30 you should be running close to even splits. I went out quick and decided to hang on. Go with how you are feeling. Old skool.

2. Mental toughness. Don't let that gap emerge. I had to surge a few times to stop falling off the back but it felt good. In some sick way I wanted the pace to stay at 3:00/km so that I could test my mettle every 72 seconds.

Finished with a 4 lap warm-down. Chatted to Rob and another guy called Wayne. A great night.

Checked my time on McM. My best run ever apparently. Not sure I'd go that far. Thoughts have immediately turned to the 25 lapper a week on Saturday. I'm starting to believe that sub 32 maybe a possibility...

No comments: