Sunday, February 07, 2010

Welcome Back. Long Time Between Drinks.

Lots have happened in the past few months. Here is a quick summation:

1. Decided to move to Ireland
2. Sold Sydney apartment
3. Bought house in Galway
4. Flights booked May 18th.
5. New baby due March 19th.
6. Still running but sore left knee will not subside...

So with the impending move, and not looking to work until we get the family to Ireland, I've decided to have a solid effort on the running front for the first half of 2010. Since October I've been putting in the kms, but have been sadly lacking on the speedwork front. Interval sessions have been very few and far between. Despite that, I am pleased to report that there is still life in the old dog.

Lets start off with my races post marathon:

Oct 25th Wahroonga San Run for Life 10km - finished 3rd in 35:47
Nov 3rd Mingara 3km - 9:25
Nov 7th Striders Lane Cove 10km - finished 5th in 34:19
Nov 14th Homebush State 3km - 9:05
Dec 1st Mingara 3km - 9:21
Jan 28th Homebush State 5km - 15:54 (3 second PB)
Feb 6th Striders Homebush 10km - finished 4th in 34:33 (best Striders finishing position)

Basically, my speedwork has been racing apart from some token interval sessions the last couple of weeks. So still running well and with some speedwork I will soon be hitting my straps.

Race schedule will be the Striders 10km races each month, plus a few 3km races where I can fit them in. The main goal being the Sydney half on May 16th two days before we fly home. Would like to run a PB in my last race in the Southern hemisphere.

Over Christmas the focus was on building up some base fitness. I ran pretty much every day for close to 40 days. Nothing quick, just steady 4 min to 4:30 min per km pace. Averaging about 75 kms per week.

Going forwards I will attempt to get one track session in per week. I'll mix up the efforts between 400s, 800s, kms, etc, and try to reduce the recovery as I get fitter. It's hard work doing these by yourself - I need to find a few training partners to rattle through these sessions with.

Today I ran 20km in 1hr 23 in LCNP. Pretty quick pace (4:08/km) but felt quite easy. Just one of those runs where everything feels good. So that's a total of 84km for the week.

No comments: