Saturday, October 03, 2009

Striders 10km Homebush 5th in 34:26

Woke up this morning not too bad. I limited my beer consumption to 4 beers (pints), so should be able to get away with that...

Weather was ordinary at best. Lots of rain and heavy winds. I decided that in these conditions I'd be happy with 34 anything. Quicker than that would be a great run.

Started with a quick first km in 3:15. Then struggled to keep the pace up from there on. I went through 5km in 17:01 and knew at that point that sub 34 wasn't to be. Tried to keep the effort up on the 2nd lap but it was difficult running solo. The weather wasn't as bad as I had feared and it was quite pleasant running in the light rain. There were a few windy sections but overall not too bad. I finished in 34:26 and 5th overall so that will do. Neither a confidence booster or shatterer. A par run.

Spoke with Saxon at the end. We were talking pacing strategy for Melbourne. The early money is on a low 1:17 first half and then try and hold that pace for as long as possible thereafter. If it looks like bad weather then there will have to be a rethink.

No comments: