Sunday, June 21, 2015

Another week and Annaghdown 10km

This week went something like this:

Mon - Claregalway recovery run 9.5kms 37:20 (3:56's)

Tue - AM - 2km up, treadmill 10km threshold run 32;18 (3:14's), 1.6km down. Total 13.6kms.

Tue - PM - easy 6.5kms Tuam AC

Wed - Claregalway recovery run 10.3kms including strides 43:38

Thu - 2km up, Claregalway 10km threshold run 33:50 (3:23's), 1.5km down. Total 13.5kms.

Fri - Claregalway recovery run 9.5kms 36:03 (3:48's)

Sat - Claremorris easy 5.8kms including strides

Sun - Annaghdown 10km 31:58. All up 14.9kms with up/down.

Total for the week 83.6kms

I felt good on my outdoor threshold run on Thursday dipping under 34 for 10km at the bottom of my zone. That was a good confidence booster heading into the race on Sunday, Conditions were very breezy throughout the day and the 7pm start made  for something different for a Sunday race. My plan was to take it out hard using the benefit of the wind the first 4kms. Then hang on. That's basically what happened - I took the lead from the gun and ran hard clocking low 3 minute kms for the first 4 kms. Through 4km in 12:20 so I knew I had put some time in the bank in attempting to break the course record of 32:31.

After a left turn at 4km things got a lot tougher and the wind was always a factor. I broke it down into 1km sections and kept focused on my cadence which I know drops off when I start to struggle. Through 5km in 15:40 and some quick mental arithmetic and I knew if I could hold sub 3:20 pace I'd be there or thereabouts. Each km passed under target and by the time I got to 7km I knew barring a disaster I had it in the bag. Still some tough sections in the last 3km including a nasty climb up to the cemetery around 9km. I pushed hard the last km crossing the line in 31:58 for the win.

Delighted with that as it was a tough day and the course although predominantly flat certainly has you working hard in spots. I feel that was a better run than my PB of 31:42 (on a flatter course and in better conditions). My target now has to be a crack at sub 31:30 but I'll need some company to help pull that off.

That's my 4th sub 32 now so I'm very consistent. I just need to take it up a notch and I know it's there. 

Here are a few photos from the day courtesy of Outback Jacks - the start and the finish:



No comments: