Saturday, May 15, 2010

Sydney Morning Herald Half Marathon

My last race in Oz. I was going to enjoy it. Up early and met Irish Paul in Milson's Point. I changed into my new K-Swiss gear and we jogged across the bridge to the start. I chatted with a few of the regulars at the start line and soon we were underway.

I was going to try and stick with the silver fox. It's a quick start with the downhill at Hunter Street and I was just focused on getting into a decent rhythm. I didn't see any km markers until we were looping back onto George St at the bottom of the Rocks. I was slightly alarmed when the 5km marker showed 16:29. By this stage the silver fox had already gapped me and I was left to run my own race.

Coming up Hunter St the first time I was joined by the lead female who looked very strong. I stuck with her for most of LMC but she pulled away from me on the final climb leading up to the cathedral. The 10km marker showed 33:56 so I was well ahead of schedule and was feeling okay.

That said, I started to struggle on the second lap. I was slowing slightly and I could see runners in front of me moving away into the distance. The section down Hunter St was okay, as was the section at the back of the Rocks but the last slog up Hunter St, and all of LMC was a real drag.

At 20km I was 1:09:38 so my second 10km was 35:42. Very disappointing. But a final push in the last 1.1km got me to the finish line in 1:13:34 (24th place). During this section I was overtaken by a couple more runners...

So a 14 second PB. Not the time I wanted but you can never be too despondent after running a PB. There is definitely more to come! I need to find a flatter course as I have nothing to offer on the hills.

Lots of fun post race. Straight into the Mercantile for numerous beers with the Mingara boys. Then home for a few hours and back into the Rocks in the evening for the Hero of Waterloo and plenty more booze with the lads. A great day.

Looking back I basically ran the half on 10km training. With some longer stuff I'm sure I'm capable of breaking 1:12. That will be my goal for the remainder of the year. We shall see.

I'll be offline for a while but I'll soon provide an update when I find my feet in the Emerald Isle. TTFN.

No comments: