Saturday, February 13, 2010

Saturday Time Trial

I decided to run my LCNP time trial course (just over 4.6km - top gate to bottom gate as per the Striders course). I think the technical term for this is a threshold run.

Did the usual warm-up of 5.4km. I was confident of running well, but the humidity was a killer. By the time I reached the top of the course I was not feeling great. Low on energy and sweating profusely. It took me close to 26 minutes to run this section so not far off 5 minute clicks. I took a few minutes to stretch at the top, then decided to just go for it. I seem to have developed a knack for running well after feeling awful in the warm-up so this was maybe a good sign.

Was running quite strongly, the course does feel a few seconds quicker now that it has been fully resurfaced. The road is now very smooth, pothole free, and will probably attract a few more cyclists - but I digress. I reached the 3km to go marker in 5:19 so I knew that to beat my PB of 15:15 I would have to run sub 10 for the last 3km. Struggled up the last hill as per the norm but with 1km I was 11:56 and a quick last km saw me home in 15:04. An 11 second PB (and 9:45 for the last 3km). I think this section is a shade over 4.6km so that equates to 3:15 per km but I will concede the course is very much downhill so will flatter your time.

Very pleased with that. I'm sure I could go a good bit quicker without the humidity and heat (it was probably 27 degrees so not ideal running weather). This was a real confidence booster. Sub 15 is just around the corner.

Celebrated in the evening with a 6 pack of Coopers. Long run tomorrow with Palms.

No comments: