Tuesday, March 19, 2013

6 x 800m off 2 mins

Some quick running at the track to sharpen up before the 10 miler on Sunday. The plan was to start out around 2:24 for the 800's, and then work them down to sub 2:20 for the last couple.

A warm-up around the block and a couple of laps of the track, then into the groups with me running with Keith. I was to take out the first lap, then Keith would take over for the second one. Conditions were pretty good - dry and a bit of a stiff headwind on the back straight. One problem is that the floodlights had failed on the final bend so you were basically running in the dark - didn't bother me though but there were some understandable safety concerns!

Here are the times:

2:26/2:20/2:23/2:22/2:20/2:21

I never felt good during this session despite the long recovery. The first one was poor but bounced back nicely for the second one. But after that I seemed to die after the first 400m and had nothing left to bring it home (especially the last rep where Keith left me for dead). I was coughing up all sorts of nasty stuff and my right ear seemed blocked so I'll put it down to me not feeling great and move on. Not the confidence booster I was looking for before the race but the times were still pretty good - just not what I thought I was capable of after a decent block of training.

Another warm-down around the roads to give me 13.0kms for the day. Easy running for the rest of the week with another rest day planned for Saturday.

No comments: