Sunday, July 03, 2011

Darting Biathlon

My planned long run was put on hold as I decided it was time to make my darts debut in a ranking competition where points could be accumulated towards making the county darts side. I still managed to squeeze in an hours run - the same run as Monday covering the 14.4km in 57:30 (4 minute kms).

So on the running front that's 87.5km for the week with 3 solid speed sessions thrown in. A very good week.

Moving on to the darts, I hit the practice board and quickly hit a couple of maximums. Upon arrival at the pub (which is only 4km up the road), I registered and played a few warm-up games where I hit another maximum. Then the comp started and we were split into groups of 5 players where we had to play a round robin format with the 2 highest leg scorers in the group progressing to the quarter finals. Every leg counted and you played all 3 legs against the other 4 players in the group regardless of the scoreline.

In my first game I won 3-0 after playing well after a slow start. In the next game I lost 3-0 after playing very poorly. I returned to winning ways in game 3 with a 2-1 victory then lost my last game 3-0 after scoring well but missing chances on doubles. Scoring for show and doubles for dough and all that...

So my for and against read 5-7 and had I won one more leg I would have progressed through to the quarters. Not a bad debut and there are more of these comps coming up so I'm sure I'll give it another crack. Hopefully I'll be less nervous next time or perhaps I just need to drink more...

No comments: